Dimitra Kouzi Journalist, filmmaker, documentary producer
I look at the world with curiosity and joy, as if I discover it anew each day. I grew up bilingual (Greek-German) in Greece, a citizen of the world since age 6, when for 7 years in a row I would spend alone, with children from 5 continents, my summer holidays in the Alps in southern Germany, at a school full of colour, play, nature, were German was our lingua franca.
I graduated from the German School and studied communication and media at Ludwig Maximilian’s University, Munich, as well as photography with Platon Rivellis at the Photographic Circle in Athens.
Transformation of reality has always interested me, and my favourite courses were at the School of Cinema and Television in Munich. I have worked for magazines and television in Greece and Germany, as a journalist and anchor for ERT, ARTE, ZDF, N24. For 2 years I was in charge of documentary acquisitions for ERT Digital’s two channels. In the documentary industry, I have worked in all possible posts, with a focus on creative documentary development, festival audience development, and impact distribution (CineDoc 2009–2016). In 2016, I established KinderDocs International Documentary Festival for children and young audiences, in collaboration with the Benaki Museum in Athens and the MOMus in Thessaloniki, as well as IDFA (Amsterdam) and Doxs! (Duisburg, Germany). Some 30,000 children and young people have participated in KinderDocs in its first 4 years in existence.
I contribute articles to the Greek- and German-speaking press on topics inspired and related to documentary.
Fluent in Greek, German, and English.
Creative producer and/or Director for the documentary films:
• Little Land 2013, 52ʹ, ERT/ARTE, dir. Nikos Dayandas:
Original Idea and Research for the story and for main characters on Ikaria island
• Geschenk der Götter (A Gift from the Gods/A Godsend) 2014, 102’, Germany, dir. Oliver Haffner, fiction feature film:
Line Producer, Greece (Produced by If… Productions)
• People, Gods and Other Creatures 2014, dir. Svetlana Strelnikova:
Creative Producer on film development (in production by DoppelPlus Ultra Hamburg)
• Liebe mit Hindernissen: Die Geschichte der Deutschen und Griechen (Love with Obstacles: The History of Greeks and Germans) 2019:
Co-author with Ingo Helm (commissioned by ARTE, aired on ARTE/NDR, 10/3/2020)
• A short film about the pupil exchange between the German School of Athens and the Distomo Lyceum; commissioned by the German School of Athens, the film explores the common WW2 experience in relation to the rise of far-right extremism in Europe today; in postproduction:
• Good Morning Mr Fotis 2019, 70ʹ, feature-length documentary:
• ARNode, Connecting with Mit, feature documentary (in development)
Kouzi Productions Praxitelous St. 33 • 10560 Athens • Τ: 210 72 19 909 • email@example.com • kouziproductions.com
PRODUCED BY KOUZI PRODUCTIONS 2020 ©